It sounds like a nightmare, right? But it doesn't have to be! Here are some step-by-step instructions for seamlessly changing your last name.
1. Get your marriage license. You have to have this in order to change your name!
2. Change your Social Security card. You can do this by filling out the online application or by going in-person to the SSA's office. Online if you want it to be quick; in-person if you prefer a hands-on experience! Either way, receiving your new card (different name; same number) can take up to 3 weeks.
3. Update your license. Head to the DMV to get your new name on your license. You'll want to be sure to bring your marriage certificate and new social security card.
Bam! Your name is legally changed. To take it a step further, here are some extras to update once your name is officially changed.
- bank accounts
- lease (if you're staying in the same home/apartment)
- credit cards
- all insurance
- voter ID info
- And of course, social media!